Is Bethesda an orphanage?
No. The students who attend Bethesda Academy, including those who board on campus, come from actively involved families. Approximately half of Bethesda’s students participate in our Boarding program. Students whose families live within about a 100 mile radius are 5-day boarders, arriving on campus Sunday evening and going home on Friday after school. While Bethesda was originally founded as an orphanage in 1740, its mission and focus have evolved over the years and is now a boarding and day school for a variety of families.
How many Bethesda alumni are there?
More than 12,000 boys have been a part of Bethesda’s legacy since its founding in 1740. A Bethesda boy has fought in every war ever fought by this country. Bethesda alumni have gone on to make significant contributions in a number of fields including business, medicine and professional sports. Eighty-five percent of Bethesda’s endowment, came from men who spent time at Bethesda during their formative years. The endowment is a large component of Bethesda Academy’s uncommonly generous financial aid program.
Do Bethesda’s Cottage faculty have other jobs?
Bethesda’s Cottage Teachers are definitely full-time employees! Cottage Teachers are married couples who are professional staff members coming from a variety of child-related, educational professions. Every evening, Cottage Teachers are responsible for making sure homework and chores are completed, developing recreational activities, and ensuring that all of the students in the cottage are in bed on time. More often than not, the Cottage Teachers have children of their own who enjoy having a cottage full of big brothers!
How is Bethesda financially supported?
Bethesda is a privately funded organization; therefore, revenues are generated through fundraising, special events, scholarships, grants, campus enterprises, and tuition. We also draw a rolling percentage from our endowment each year. We are extremely grateful for our financial supporters, as they are an integral part of ensuring Bethesda’s success. Bethesda does not receive federal, state, or local educational funds.
How do families afford Bethesda?
Bethesda is a private school and, as such, families are expected to pay tuition. It is important to note, however, that every student at Bethesda Academy receives financial aid support. Many of our Georgia based students qualify for and receive partial scholarships from the Georgia GOAL Scholarship program, which is funded through tax credits secured Bethesda Academy’s fundraising efforts.
The funds raised annually by Bethesda are secured for the purpose of making Bethesda a viable opportunity for the young men – and their families – who can benefit from our program. Upon receipt of a completed the financial aid package, our finance office works closely with each family to establish and customize a tuition agreement. This financial commitment is a necessary investment in the tremendous opportunity that their son is receiving at Bethesda. Tuition is billed monthly and parents must remain current with their tuition payments in order for their son to remain enrolled at Bethesda Academy.
- Bethesda Academy is located on 650 scenic oak-covered acres overlooking the Moon River, just 11 miles from historic downtown Savannah.
- The school is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
- 95% of Bethesda Academy students graduate on time
- 85% of Bethesda Academy students go on to college
- Originally founded in 1740 as an orphanage, Bethesda is dedicated to transforming the lives of young men through education.
- Bethesda Academy, a successful school serving boys from sixth through twelfth grade, officially opened in 1992.
- Bethesda is dedicated to the founding mission of George Whitefield, who emphasized a love of God, a love of learning and a strong work ethic.
- Every student at Bethesda is expected to work hard and to learn the habits and skills that will make them productive citizens.
- Bethesda Academy features a wildlife management program, an organic farming program and a nationally-ranked chess team, civic groups, and a wide variety of athletic teams.
- The school’s alumni have gone on to enjoy successful careers in a range of fields including business, medicine and professional sports.